People in the News
• The following area students were named to the Xavier High Third Quarter Honor Roll:
Clinton: Marcelo Burno, 9, High Honors; Jonathan Ford, 11, High Honors; Vincent Graham, 9, High Honors; Sean Kelly, 11, High Honors; Dillon Luke, 9, High Honors; George Luke, 11, High Honors; Benjamin Buzzeo, 12, Honors; William Eydman, 12, Honors; Ryan Gazzillo, 10, Honors; Trevor Hayes, 11, Honors; Matt Hynek, 9, Honors; Marc Lancia, 12, Honors; Cole Sierpinski, 10, Honors; and Martin Wall, 12, Honors
Old Saybrook: Sean Collison, 10, High Honors; Kevin Monaghan, 11, High Honors; Aidan O’Donnell, 12, High Honors; Santiago Pacheco-O’Donnell, 11, High Honors; Alexander Pralea, 11, High Honors; Zhenhai Quan, 11, High Honors; James Colwell, 9, Honors; Kevin Dardick, 11, Honors; Dyllon King, 10, Honors; Brendan Montano, 11, Honors; Tanner Rogers, 10, Honors; Alexander Schumann, 9, Honors; and Dillon Selfors, 12, Honors
Westbrook: Joseph Merola, 9, High Honors; David Wright, Jr., 9, High Honors; Shane Carlson, 10, Honors; Zijun Ou, 10, Honors; Sean Sutherland, 10, Honors; Mason Waldron, 10, Honors; and Carson Waldron, 11, Honors
• Amber Vuilleumier of Clinton, daughter of Steve Vuilleumier and Alexandra Vuilleumier, and Libby Scherber of Old Saybrook, daughter of George Scherber and Amber Scherber, were named to the Endicott College the Dean’s List students for fall 2018. Vuilleumier is majoring in interior design and Scherber in nursing.
• Alexander Ruth of Old Saybrook was named to the Honors List for the Fall 2018 semester at Fairleigh Dickinson University’s Florham Campus, Madison, New Jersey.
• Chiara Giampietro of Old Saybrook was named to the Nazareth College Dean’s List for the spring 2019 semester. A student’s grade point average must be at least 3.5 or above, and they must complete 12 credit hours of graded work that semester in order to be included on the dean’s list at Nazareth.
• Samantha Chapps of Old Saybrook was been named to Southern New Hampshire University’s winter 2019 Dean’s List and President’s List. Eligibility for the Dean’s List requires that a student accumulate an academic grade point average (GPA) of 3.5-3.699 and earn 12 credits for the semester; eligibility for the President’s List requires that a student accumulate an academic grade point average (GPA) of 3.7-4.0 and earn 12 credits for the semester.
• Nicole Distasio of Clinton and Lydia Harvey of Old Saybrook were named to the Dean’s List at Paul Smith’s College during the spring 2019 semester. Each earned a semester average of 3.3 or higher to receive this distinction.
• Alexa Mulvihill of Westbrook and Marissa Newell of Old Saybrook have been named to the Assumption College Dean’s List for the spring 2019 semester. To receive recognition, students must earn a grade point average of 3.5 for a five-class, 15-credit semester.
Academic and Extracurricular Activities
• Amelia Wen Zheng of Old Saybrook earned her bachelor’s degree in legal studies from Suffolk University, Boston.
• Isabella Raffone of Westbrook was one of 13 students to travel to Houston, Texas with the Lasell Alternative Break program, to assist with disaster recovery efforts in partnership with TX Volunteer SBP and West Street Recovery.
• Alyssa DiMaria of Clinton graduated from Gettysburg College on May 19, with a B.A.
• Kiernan O’Herlihy, a graduate of Old Saybrook High School Class of 2016, graduated on May 11 from the University of South Carolina in Columbia with a double major in Spanish and history.
• The following area students graduated from the University of New Hampshire in May:
Jamie Corrone of Clinton graduated with a B.S. in social work
Jacob Corrone of Clinton graduated with a B.A. in sociology
Nicholas Husted of Old Saybrook graduated magna cum laude with a B.S. in athletic training
Sara Faucher of Westbrook graduated cum laude with a B.A. in Communication
• Jamie Nicole Naccarato of Clinton graduated from Clemson University with a B.A. in biological sciences.
• Peter Pascal Stanners of Old Saybrook and Caleb Jem Plummer of Westbrook received a B.A. from the College of the Holy Cross on May 24.
• The following area students graduated from Endicott College on May 25:
Ashlyn Chidsey of Clinton graduated magna cum laude with a B.S. in Marketing.
Kelly Thompson of Clinton graduated magna cum laude with a B.A. in liberal studies/education.
Olivia Ozycz of Old Saybrook graduated with a B.A. in liberal studies/education.
Maddison Reyes of Westbrook graduated cum laude with a B.S. in hospitality management.
Awards and Honors
• Margaret Maselli of Old Saybrook High School, Shoreline Ballet, and Eastern Connecticut Ballet was the special recognition winner in the Dance category of the Shoreline Arts Alliance 2019 Scholarships in the Arts Top Talent Award Competition, though which students from the alliance’s 24-town region applied, auditioned, and interviewed for a $1,000 scholarship to continue their education in the arts.
• Erin Lindsay of The Morgan School in Clinton is the recipient of the Rockfall Foundation 2019 Virginia R. Rollefson Environmental Leadership Scholarship. Lindsay conducted a research project on the significant decline of eelgrass, a type of seagrass, in Long Island Sound.
• Janthina Connelly of Westbrook was inducted into Gateway Community College’s Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society in May.