People in the News
• The following Guilford students were recently named to the Northeastern University Dean’s List for the spring semester, which ended in April 2019:
Olivia Watrous, majoring in health science Katelyn F. McNamara, majoring in behavioral neuroscience
Nicholas M. Zoarski, majoring in business administration Krishnan T. Moran, majoring in computer science/business administration Victoria A. Giovanniello, majoring in environmental science Theodora K. Stanley, majoring in health science Emma R. Bosenberg, majoring in mathematics/business administration Charlene L. Guo, majoring in pharmacy Hayley M. Cashman, majoring in political science
• Jacqueline Kegel, Kayley McLaughlin, and Madisen Panagoulias of Guilford were named to the University of Delaware’s Dean’s List for the spring 2019 semester.
• Susan Casley, Patrick Gabel, John Jankura, and Nathan Wilson of Guilford were named to the spring 2019 Dean’s List at Roger Williams University in Bristol, Rhode Island
• Alexia Perugini and Kiria Borak of Guilford were named to the Dean’s List at Bates College in Lewiston, Maine, for the winter semester ending in April 2019. Perugini is a freshman majoring in neuroscience and Borak is a senior majoring in politics and French and Francophone studies.
• The following Guilford students were named to the Dean’s List for the spring 2019 semester at Bucknell University in Lewisburg, Pennsylvania: Chris Barber, Emma Gebauer, and John Reagle. To receive the Dean’s List recognition, a student must earn a grade point average of 3.5 or higher on a scale of 4.0.
• Aidan Kellaher of Guilford was named to the Dean’s List for the spring 2019 semester at Marquette University in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
• The following Guilford students were named to the Dean’s List at the University of New Haven in West Haven for the spring 2019 semester: Joshua Bartholomew, majoring in computer science at the Tagliatela College of Engineering Mackenzie Johnston, majoring in finance at the College of Business Whitney Lorenze, majoring in fine arts in drawing at the Lyme Academy College of Fine Arts Mathew Moroso, majoring in business management at the College of Business Anthony Sette, majoring in criminal justice at the Henry C. Lee College of Criminal Justice and Forensic Sciences
Academic and Extracurricular Activities
• Anna Strait, 22, of Guilford, was accepted into the Peace Corps and departed for Benin in June to begin training as an agriculture volunteer. Strait is the daughter of Sheila and Michael Strait of Guilford and a graduate of Guilford High School. She attended Syracuse University in Syracuse, New York, where she earned a B.A. in international relations in 2018. Prior to joining the Peace Corps, she worked as a peer educator of drug and alcohol harm reduction and as a volunteer English teacher to immigrants. During the first three months of her service, Strait will live with a host family in Benin to become fully immersed in the country’s language and culture. After acquiring the necessary skills to assist her community, Strait will be sworn into service and assigned to a community in Benin, where she will live and work for two years with the local people.
• Katrina Niedziela of Guilford graduated from Gettysburg College on May 19, with a B.A.
• John Reagle of Guilford graduated from Bucknell University on May 19.
• The following Guilford students graduated from the University of New Hampshire in May:
Abby Jeppesen graduated magna cum laude with a B.S. in communication science and disorders
Mackenzie Colcord graduated with a B.A. in communications
• Tessa Barry of Guilford graduated cum laude with a bachelor of fine arts in studio art from Endicott College on May 25.
• The following Guilford students graduated from the University of Vermont in May:
Christian Abys graduated with a B.S. degree in environmental sciences. Madeleine Barnes graduated with a B.S. in neuroscience. Samantha Carlson graduated with a B.A. in psychological science. Justin Clark graduated with a B.S. in mathematics. Grace Ireland graduated with a B.S. in environmental sciences. Kyle Landry-McWilliams graduated with a B.A. in psychological science. Lauren Lepeak graduated with a B.S. in neuroscience. Bryanna Occhiboi graduated with a B.S. in public communication. Nicole Raccuia graduated with a B.A. in studio art.
• Rebecca Weinzimer of Guilford graduated with a B.A. in psychology from Wesleyan University in Middletown.
• Sawyer Geelan of Guilford graduated in May with a B.S. in marketing from Lasell College in Newton, Massachusetts.
• The following Guilford students graduated from Quinnipiac University in Hamden in May: Alessandro Abys graduated with a B.S. in finance. Christina Carmona graduated with a master of occupational therapy. Susan Cascio graduated with an M.S. in organizational leadership. Matthew DeCaprio graduated with a master of health science in physician assistant. Anneka Ginz graduated with a B.S. in accounting. Mackenzie Iasparra graduated with a B.S. in biology. Cory Larkins graduated with a B.S. in entrepreneurship and small business management. Molly Louis graduated with a B.S. in nursing. Nicole Modell graduated with a B.S. in radiologic sciences. Taryn Nelson graduated with a B.A. in psychology. Tyler Nelson graduated with an MBA. Heather Russo graduated with a B.S. in nursing. Scott Standish graduated with an M.S. in organizational leadership. Mariana Tamayo graduated with a master of occupational therapy. Jessica Thibault graduated with a B.S. in management. Athena Thompson graduated with a B.S. in nursing. Alice Valley graduated with a B.A. in history. Melissa Yanbul graduated with a B.A. in political science. Ian Zane graduated with a B.S. in computer science.
• The following Guilford students graduated from Mercy High School in Middletown in May: Chandler Gilligan, Sarah Hutchinson, and Angelina Miluzzo.
• Nicholas Oen Miers of Guilford graduated with a bachelor of business administration from the University of Mississippi in May.
• Jennifer Corradi of Guilford graduated cum laude in May with a B.A. in economics from Tufts University in Massachusetts.
Awards and Honors
• Angelina DiFranco of Guilford High School and Starship Dance Studio was the winner in the Dance category of the Shoreline Arts Alliance 2019 Scholarships in the Arts Top Talent Award Competition, though which students from the alliance’s 24-town region applied, auditioned, and interviewed for a $1,000 scholarship to continue their education in the arts.
• Jake Gladwin of Guilford High School was the special recognition winner in the Vocal Music category of the Shoreline Arts Alliance 2019 Scholarships in the Arts Top Talent Award Competition, though which students from the alliance’s 24-town region applied, auditioned, and interviewed for a $1,000 scholarship to continue their education in the arts.
• Becca Weinzimer of Guilford was awarded the Needler Prize by Wesleyan University in Middletown for demonstrated excellence in Hebrew or Jewish studies. Weinzimer, a member of Wesleyan’s Class of 2019, is majoring in psychology.
• James M. Sullivan of Guilford received the Harold Heye History Award and the Outstanding Senior Thesis Award at the 2019 Senior Awards Luncheon at Western New England University.
• Natalia A. Perez and Ethan M. Silver of Guilford were awarded the National Merit Scholarship ($2,500 each). Perez graduates from Guilford High School and is open to her field of study in college; Silver graduates from Hopkins School in New Haven and plans to pursue physics.
• Emily Etter of Guilford received the Physician Assistant Department Distinguished Senior Award from Springfield College in Massachusetts. The Distinguished Senior Awards are presented annually to graduating students who have performed consistently well in the classroom. The award recipients are chosen by their respective peers in their individual department.
• Samuel Fogarty of Guilford was honored with the President’s Commission on the Status of Women Community Service Award at Union College. Fogarty, a member of the Class of 2020, was honored for contributing significantly to furthering the cause of women at the college.
• Alexa Modell and Gabriela Perez of Guilford were awarded the 4.0 Gold Tassel Scholar by Sacred Heart Academy in Hamden for holding a cumulative four-year minimum average of 4.0. Following tradition, they wore golden tassels during graduation ceremonies in May. Modell plans to enroll at Sacred Heart University in Fairfield and Perez plans to enroll at University of Chicago.
• Pauline Kalta of Guilford was named to the President’s List for the spring 2019 semester at Siena College in Loudonville, New York. The President’s List requires a 3.9 grade point average or higher.
• Owen S. Dray of Guilford was awarded the National Merit Scholarship by Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering. Dray plans to pursue mechanical engineering, focusing on robotics.
• Samuel Knudsen Westgard of Guilford was named a Presidential Scholar for the spring 2019 semester at Clarkson University in Potsdam, New York. Presidential scholars must achieve a minimum 3.80 grade point average and carry at least 14 credit hours. Westgard is a mechanical engineering major.
• Rebekah Brancato of Guilford was inducted in May into Upsilon Pi Epsilon (UPE) International Honor Society at Eastern Connecticut State University. To be considered for UPE, students must major in an area that is related to the computing and information disciplines, rank in the upper 35 percent of their class and hold a 3.25 grade point average overall in their major. Brancato majors in Business Information Systems.
• The following Guilford students were named to the Mercy High School Third Quarter Honor Roll for the 2018-’19 school year: Peyton Cirillo, 2022-Honors; Chandler Gilligan, 2019-Honors; Lilly Hedge, 2021-Honors; Sarah Hutchinson, 2019-Honors; Emily McGuane, 2021-Honors; and Emma Pfau, 2020-High Honors